Request a Visit
Thank you for your interest in scheduling the MdBioLab for a visit during the 2009-2010 school year. Our schedule is completely filled. All waiting list requests should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need to create or revise your account, please visit http://techcouncilmd.com/mdbiolab/school/
Prior to MdBioLab Visit
- Application: A representative teacher from the school who would like to schedule a visit from the MdBioLab must complete and submit an online application. Dates are reserved on a first-come, first-served basis. MdBioLab staff will work with each school individually to customize an experience that best fits its need, including scheduling, activity selection and professional development.
- Professional Development for Educators: Educators can arrange an after school training session prior to or during the week of the MdBioLab visit. Trainings include the Maryland Loaner Lab training and content or activity specific modules.
- Evaluations: As a commitment to our continued program and the impact it has on students, MdBioLab asks schools and educators to help us with a program evaluation. Teachers administer pre and post-lab surveys to students with questions about the MdBioLab experience, science careers and activity content.
- Classroom Activity:Classroom teachers are asked to introduce students to theories and concepts behind the laboratory activity through a pre-laboratory classroom activity. Suggestions are provided to the teacher with each laboratory activity, although teachers may use whatever they feel is appropriate for their individual classroom. MdBioLab staff is available to help teachers with the implementation or presentation of these activities.
- Student Handouts: Schools are responsible to print student worksheets and ensure each student has a copy to bring to the MdBioLab for their class. Pencils will be provided by MdBioLab.
- Time: The MdBioLab visits each school for one week. Mondays are reserved for setting-up the truck, meeting with classroom teachers and professional development. Classes with students are held Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and until noon on Friday. Please email us (with “professional development request" as the subject) if you would like to schedule professional development for your school.
- Instructors: MdBioLab provides experienced science educators to lead students through inquiry-based laboratory activities that reinforce the concepts introduced in the pre-laboratory classroom activity. MdBioLab also provides all necessary equipment, reagents and supplies for the activity; schools must provide their own handouts for students and goggles if required by the school.
- Class size: The MdBioLab can accommodate up to 32 students (working in pairs) unless otherwise noted for specific activities. Please see descriptions of the laboratory activities to confirm maximum number of student participants.
After the MdBioLab Visit:
- Extension Activities: Suggestions for extension activities to broaden student experiences are provided for each laboratory activity. In addition, schools are also provided an interactive DVD and movie for students to explore bioscience careers.
- Evaluations: Many opportunities exist for high school students who would like to further their science experiences, perform an internship at a local organization, or find educational opportunities. The MdBioLab is committed to helping students identify their own unique career pathway. We provide information to schools and students about these experiences and are available to help teachers develop or implement new programs and/or events.
If you have any questions contact email@example.com or call 240.243.4053.